VROMI Launches Drainage Project Tender, Expands Road Repairs and Ring Road Rehabilitation

patricegumbs20052026

PHILIPSBURG — Minister of Public Housing, Spatial Planning, Environment and Infrastructure (VROMI) Patrice Gumbs Jr. announced several infrastructure initiatives on Wednesday, including a major drainage project tender, ongoing nationwide road repairs, and plans to rehabilitate sections of the Ring Road.

During the Council of Ministers press briefing, Gumbs confirmed that the Ministry will officially launch a public bid this Friday, May 22, for the design, preparation, and construction management of a drainage system stretching from Cole Bay Union Road to the Simpson Bay Lagoon.

According to the minister, the project is aimed at minimizing flooding and improving public safety during heavy rainfall by directing runoff water into drainage channels leading toward the lagoon.

“The aim of the project is to minimize flooding in the surrounding areas and create a safe zone for motorists, pedestrians, and residents during heavy rainfall,” Gumbs stated.

An information session for interested bidders is scheduled for June 22 at 10:00 a.m., while questions regarding the bid process must be submitted by June 29. Final bids must be submitted through the Mercel platform.

Road Repairs Continue Island-Wide

The minister also announced that road repair works officially commenced last week, beginning near the airport and moving west toward Philipsburg.

This week’s work is being carried out daily between 7:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. and includes several districts across the island.

Areas scheduled for repairs include A.T. Illidge Road, Madame Estate, Mount William Hill, Dutch Quarter, Belvedere, Bishop Hill, Cole Bay Hill, Link One, Octavius Richardson Road, Little Bay Road, and sections of Down Street in Philipsburg.

Motorists were urged to plan ahead for traffic delays and to drive carefully around work crews.

Ring Road Rehabilitation Begins

Gumbs further revealed that the Ministry is moving forward with plans to rehabilitate the Ring Road as part of broader efforts to improve traffic flow and mobility on the island.

Originally designed as a bypass route, the Ring Road has become overgrown and largely unusable over the years.

“The Ministry is undertaking initial site surveys of the entirety of the Ring Road with the express intent to put the road functional once again,” he explained.

Beginning this weekend, VROMI crews will start clearing and leveling the stretch from the traffic lights to the Lion’s Club roundabout on A.T. Illidge Road. Work will continue next week toward Arch Road and adjoining areas.

The minister also warned individuals illegally occupying land along sections of the Ring Road to remove materials from the area.

At the same time, he cautioned residents against using the cleared areas for illegal dumping.

“It is an effort to support mobility and traffic flow, especially as a service route for emergency and first responders,” he said.

Government Launches Sargassum Impact Survey

Additionally, the Ministry has commissioned the Nature Foundation St. Maarten to conduct a public survey examining the impact of sargassum seaweed on residents, businesses, and tourists.

The survey will assess the health, social, and economic consequences associated with sargassum accumulation along the island’s coastlines and help government develop a long-term management strategy.

“The survey will help us stop reacting and start planning,” Gumbs said, encouraging residents and businesses to participate.


ECYS scales back official Flag Day ceremony due to financial constraints, calls on Public to “Scale Up” National Pride.

melissagumbs20052026PHILIPSBURG:--- Minister of Education, Culture, Youth and Sport (ECYS) Melissa Gumbs announced Wednesday that the Government of St. Maarten will scale back the official Flag Day 2026 ceremony due to ongoing financial constraints facing the ministry and country.
Speaking during the Council of Ministers press briefing on Wednesday, Minister Gumbs stressed that the decision was not made lightly but was necessary, as the Ministry continues to operate within what she described as a “severely constrained financial environment.”
“For full transparency, last year’s St. Maarten Day celebrations cost the Department of Culture approximately 105,000 guilders, and it is only today that payments to those locally owned businesses are being executed,” Gumbs said.
The minister explained that while budgets may allocate funds for activities, actual cash flow realities continue to impact the ministry’s ability to execute large-scale events. She noted that ECYS is not an income-generating ministry and that much of its budget is legally committed to educational obligations and school subsidies.
As a result, the ministry will replace the traditional large public Flag Day program with what Gumbs described as a “more digital, symbolic, and community-centered celebration.”
The revised observance will include student messages, a symbolic flag-hoisting ceremony, media features highlighting the history and significance of Flag Day, and recorded messages from national officials. Gumbs also said she intends to personally visit schools that were scheduled to participate in the annual parade.
Despite the scaled-back approach, Gumbs emphasized repeatedly that national pride should not depend solely on government-organized ceremonies.
“Flag Day, and indeed every national day, belongs to the people of St. Maarten,” she stated. “It belongs in our schools, in our homes, in our communities, on our cars, in our businesses, on our boats, and in the conversations we have with our children about who we are.”
The minister cited several countries, including Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, and Pakistan, that previously scaled back or canceled official national celebrations due to financial pressures, while citizens continued to celebrate independently.
Gumbs also challenged residents to take greater ownership of national pride and cultural observances.
“There were more people on the strip for IShowSpeed than there were on the side of the road to welcome home our CARIFTA athletes,” she said. “My encouragement today is simple — let St. Maarten capture that same attention.”
She further pointed to the strong participation seen during foreign national celebrations held on the island by members of the Haitian, Dominican, Guyanese, Dominican, and Aruban communities.
“The persons who find their roots and bloodlines from those countries come together, buy their flags, request permits, plan their logistics, and make it a point year after year to mark their Flag Day,” she said. “Culture is not something driven only by government.”
Calling the moment a “wake-up call,” Gumbs urged residents to visibly celebrate St. Maarten’s Flag Day by displaying flags at homes and businesses, decorating vehicles, wearing national colors, and teaching children about the importance of the country’s symbols and history.
“If 10,000 people could have found $30 for a cowboy outfit on Amazon for Bacchanal Sunday, we could find $10 for a St. Maarten flag,” she remarked.
The minister concluded by reiterating that while the format of the official observance may change this year, the meaning behind Flag Day remains unchanged.
“Yes, the ministry is scaling back the official celebration this year, but I’m also inviting the people of St. Maarten to scale up their own participation,” Gumbs said.

Bonaire’s Relisting Case Reaches Major International Momentum at the United Nations.

jamesdevika20052026Bonaire’s relisting case has reached a major breakthrough of international momentum, as recently, a group of countries has engaged Member States across all continents and regions to help advance Bonaire’s case at the United Nations.
This week marks 1,100 days of sustained advocacy outside the United Nations by James Finies and Davika Bissessar Shaw of the Bonaire Human Rights Organization (BHRO) since 2022, working tirelessly within the international community to raise awareness, educate stakeholders, and build support for Bonaire’s case in the United Nations General Assembly. During this period, BHRO achieved several important recognitions, including becoming an Associate Member of the CARICOM Reparations Commission, receiving United Nations accreditation, and being awarded and honored with the “Gustavo Carvajal Moreno, Messenger of Peace” Medal of Merit.
The timing is especially significant, as current developments at both the UN and global levels have created a favorable environment for Bonaire’s case to move forward. BHRO’s advocacy has reached important international milestones and has contributed to wider discussions reflected in major global developments, including the 5th December 2025 adoption of the UN resolution establishing the International Day Against Colonialism in All Its Forms and Manifestations, to be observed annually on 14th December.
More recently, James Finies and Davika Bissessar Shaw of BHRO participated as observers in all negotiation meetings with UN Member States in a process led by the African States under the leadership of Ghana, culminating in the historic adoption of a resolution declaring the - Trafficking of Enslaved Africans and the Racialized Chattel Enslavement of Africans as the Gravest Crime against Humanity.
A major breakthrough came in late 2025, when BHRO traveled to Geneva and intervened during the Seventh Periodic Review of the Kingdom of the Netherlands before the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (CESCR). During this process, BHRO submitted information and engaged in advocacy regarding Bonaire’s human rights situation. For the first time, issues affecting Bonaire were directly raised through Bonaire civil society present in Geneva in a UN human rights review of the Netherlands, with experts questioning the Dutch delegation on matters concerning Bonaire’s social, cultural, and economic rights.
The review process highlighted serious concerns related to discrimination, inequality, language rights, social protection, and the broader socio-economic conditions affecting native Bonaireans—underscoring the urgent need to protect the rights, dignity, culture, and development of Bonaire’s indigenous and local people.
These results reflect years of sacrifice, hard work, and international advocacy by James Finies and BHRO. Today, BHRO calls on everyone—young and old, from all walks of life—to unite for positive change.
We are calling on everyone who believes in change to join us and come on board to be part of that change. One Bonaire. One Cause. One Future.
Together we are stronger. Together we can achieve more. For Bonaire. For our future.

Leiden University will get a Knowledge Centre for Kingdom Relations in The Hague.

tanjafraai20052026Starting in September 2026, Leiden University in The Hague will begin establishing a new Knowledge Centre for Kingdom Relations. In addition to bringing together researchers and developing education on Kingdom relations, the goal is to contribute to the public debate and foster greater mutual understanding and better cooperation within the Kingdom. With support from Campus Den Haag, the first steps can be taken this coming autumn. The project team consists of Wouter Veenendaal (project leader), Tanja Fraai (communication and network advisor), and an education and research officer to be recruited shortly.

 Of and for all parts of the Kingdom

The Knowledge Centre will explicitly be of and for all parts of the Kingdom and is intended to provide space for both Caribbean and European-Dutch researchers in various disciplines. Knowledge that is currently fragmented across institutions and scientists in the different countries and islands of the Kingdom can thus be consolidated and be made accessible. The Knowledge Centre also aims to offer opportunities to scientists who currently have limited scope for conducting research.

Governance Issues

The focus will be on political and governance issues. How is our Kingdom structured politically? Which administration is exactly responsible for what? And how are these administrative roles fulfilled in dossiers such as socio-economic development, (international) security, climate change, and migration issues?

Need for Knowledge and Training

The Knowledge Centre meets a growing need for knowledge and training regarding the Kingdom. Project leader Wouter Veenendaal, holder of the Special Chair in Kingdom Relations: “Since the start of my Chair two years ago, I have noticed that there is an enormous demand for knowledge about the Kingdom on both sides of the ocean. This is evident from the popularity of the postgraduate course on Kingdom Affairs, but also from the many requests from institutions dealing with Kingdom relations. The high demand for knowledge and expertise regarding the Kingdom illustrates that there is a strong need for a Knowledge Centre.”

Collaboration

The Hague University of Applied Sciences, which co-offers the course on Kingdom Relations, is an important partner. The collaboration between the University and the University of Applied Sciences makes it possible to directly link scientific insights to practice. The cross-pollination between practice and science will also become an important guiding principle for the Knowledge Centre.

Naturally, collaboration will also be sought and expanded with Caribbean knowledge institutions and independent researchers, so that they too can become co-owners of the Knowledge Centre. Sue-Ann Lee, Rector of the University of Aruba: “The Knowledge Centre is an important step to further strengthen each other through connection, collaboration, and joint knowledge development. For researchers and educational institutions within the Kingdom, including the University of Aruba, this offers opportunities to bring contextual knowledge, research, and education closer together, contribute further to nation building, and work together in a future-oriented manner towards stronger Kingdom relations.”

Leiden University, more specifically the Faculty of Social Sciences (FSW) at the Campus The Hague, will host the Knowledge Centre. All institutions dealing with Kingdom relations are located in The Hague, so it is logical to establish the Knowledge Centre in this ‘Kingdom City’.

Expanding the Network

The first step in establishing the Knowledge Centre is expanding the network on both sides of the ocean. Tanja Fraai will become the Knowledge Centre’s communications and network advisor. She looks forward to forging further connections: “Knowledge is valuable and constantly evolving, so it is wonderful to be able to help build a place where that knowledge comes together and is available to everyone.

Education and Research Officer

As the third member of the team, an education and research officer will be recruited to assist in taking the logistical and organizational steps for the establishment of the Knowledge Centre. The vacancy for this position is expected to be published in the coming weeks.

University and faculty

The establishment of the Knowledge Centre for Kingdom Relations is made possible with support from Campus The Hague and will become part of the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University. Bart Barendregt, Dean of the Faculty: “The major issues of our time call for social sciences that extend beyond European-Dutch society alone. This Knowledge Centre offers a valuable opportunity to learn, together with fellow scientists and knowledge institutions from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, from other perspectives on governance, citizenship, climate, sustainability, and the impact of historical power relations.”

The Knowledge Centre will officially open its doors in September 2027.

ODM Urges Community to be Prepared. Time to Check/Restock Your Disaster Supply Kit.

PHILIPSBURG (DCOMM):--- The Office of Disaster Management (ODM), headed by Fire Chief/National Disaster Coordinator Clive Richardson, is appealing to residents and businesses across Sint Maarten to begin preparations for the 2026 Atlantic Hurricane Season, which officially begins on June 1 and runs through November 30.

In 2025, two tropical storms caused some minor impacts to the country, namely Erin which passed approximately 107 miles northeast of the island in August, and Jerry which passed 90 miles north-northeast in October.

Forecasts indicate the possibility of a below-normal activity for the season with 13-named storms of which six could become hurricanes and of those two could become major hurricanes.
ODM is therefore urging the community to adopt a proactive approach by ensuring homes, businesses, and families are adequately prepared well before any storm threat develops. ODM’s message to the community is clear: “Be Prepared,” as it only takes one to make it a bad season for the country.

Residents are encouraged to review and restock their Disaster Supply Kits, ensuring they contain enough essential supplies to sustain household members for at least seven days after the passage of a hurricane.

Disaster kits should include non-perishable food, drinking water, medications and prescriptions, a non-electric can opener, first-aid supplies, flashlights, extra batteries, and a battery-powered radio. Persons are also advised to have extra cash available, as ATM services and electronic payment systems may not function during extended power outages.

ODM further reminds residents to secure important documents such as passports, identification cards, driver’s licenses, and insurance papers in waterproof containers or bags. Motorists are encouraged to fuel vehicles ahead of any storm threat, while homeowners should verify that home and vehicle insurance policies are current and adequate.

Families with infants and young children should ensure their disaster kits include baby formula, diapers, powdered milk, bottles, medications, moist wipes, and diaper rash ointment. Additionally, sanitation and hygiene supplies remain important and should include hand sanitizer, soap, disinfecting wipes, cleaning products, and reusable cloth face coverings.

As part of hurricane preparedness efforts, ODM is also advising the public to inspect properties and complete necessary maintenance activities now. Residents should trim tree branches near homes, remove weak or dead limbs, clean yards of loose debris, and inspect roofs and storm shutters to ensure they are secure and functioning properly.

Persons whose homes are not hurricane-ready are encouraged to make alternative arrangements with family or friends ahead of time.

The community is urged to become familiar with hurricane hazards and preparedness measures by visiting the Government website (www.sintmaartengov.org/hurricane) Government Hurricane Preparedness Page, where residents/visitors can download the “Hurricane Season Readiness Guide” and “Hurricane Tracking Chart.”

ODM also encourages the public to stay informed throughout the hurricane season by listening to the Government radio station SXMGOV 107.9 FM for official updates before, during, and after a storm.

Weather updates, emergency information, and national addresses by the Prime Minister, who serves as Chairperson of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC), can also be followed via the Government’s Facebook platform @SXMGOV Facebook Page.

For official weather information and forecasts, residents are advised to monitor the Meteorological Department of Sint Maarten (MDS) and its official Facebook page: www.meteosxm.com or visit Facebook.com/sxmweather/

ODM reminds the community that it only takes one hurricane to make it a devastating season. Preparing early and remaining vigilant are essential steps in protecting lives, property, and the country as a whole.


Subcategories